- 1 pound lean ground chicken (ground turkey can also be used)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can Great Northern beans, drained
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (less to taste)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 6 Whole Wheat Buns, optional gluten-free buns
- In a large skillet cook ground chicken and onion over medium heat, breaking up chicken with a fork as it cooks. Cook just until chicken begins to lose its pink color, drain off fat and add to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cover, cook on low heat 6 to 8 hours.
- Fast Slow Cooker Prep Option: Add uncooked ground chicken to slow cooker, break up with a fork, add remaining ingredients and cook 7-9 hours on low.
- Stove Top Method: Cooked ground over medium-high heat, breaking up with a fork as it cooks. Drain off any fat. Add the remaining ingredients and cook for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve over wheat buns.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving size: 1 cup & 1 bun | Calories: 315 | Total Fat: 9 | Saturated Fat: 2 | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 80 mg | Sodium: 204 mg | Carbohydrates: 36 g | Dietary Fiber: 5 g | Sugars: 16 g | Protein: 24 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5 |