- 1 (14.5 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1/8 tsp + ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¾ pounds 95% lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 2 tsp ground cumin, divided
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (8.5 ounce ) box Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 small onion, diced
- ¾ cup canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 ounce 50% reduced fat Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Prepare a 9×13 baking dish by spraying it with a nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix the egg, milk, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne, creamed corn, diced chilies and corn muffin mix in a large mixing bowl until well combined.
- Pour the mixture in the baking dish smoothing it into an even layer. Bake for 18-20 minutes until the tester comes out smooth.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add ground beef and saute for a while breaking it up into small pieces until slightly browned. Add the onions and garlic and saute for another 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in kidney beans, diced tomatoes, chili powder, salt and the remaining 1 teaspoon of cumin and 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne into the meat mixture. Stir together until well combined and slightly thickened.
- Take off the cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Pierce cornbread layer with a fork and spoon the chili mixture over the top. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over chili and return it to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Makes 8 servings
yield: 8 Servings | Per Serving: 293 calories | 38 g carbs | 11 g sugars | 8 g fat | 4 g saturated fat | 18 g protein | 5 g fiber | Smart Points: 9 | PP+: 7