Easy, homemade, mini stuffed bagel balls filled with cream cheese! This copycat Bantam Bagels recipe is made with no yeast, no boiling, no fancy mixer! You can bake them in the oven or make them in the air fryer!
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour, whole wheat or gluten-free mix*, (5 oz in weight)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder, make sure it’s not expired or it won’t rise
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, diamond crystal, use less if using table salt or mortons
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt, not regular yogurt, it will be too sticky (I recommend Stonyfield)
- 4 tablespoons 4 ounces, or half package 1/3 less fat cream cheese, cut into 8 cubes
- 1 egg white, beaten (whole egg works fine too)
- optional toppings: everything bagel seasoning, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried garlic flakes, dried onion flakes**
- Preheat oven to 375F. Place parchment paper or a silpat on a baking sheet. If using parchment paper, spray with oil to avoid sticking.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk well.
- Add the yogurt and mix with a fork or spatula until well combined, it will look like small crumbles.
- Lightly dust flour on a work surface and remove dough from the bowl, knead the dough a few times until dough is tacky, but not sticky, about 15 turns (it should not leave dough on your hand when you pull away).
- Divide dough into 8 equal balls. Flatten each ball into circles, then place 1/2 tablespoon cream cheese on each. Cover the dough well and roll into a ball. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Top with egg wash and sprinkle with seasoning of your choice if desired.
- Bake on the top rack of the oven for 25 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes before eating.
Air Fryer Method:
- Spray the basket to avoid sticking.
- Preheat the air fryer 325F. Transfer in batches without overcrowding and bake 11 to 12 minutes, or until golden.
- No need to turn. Let cool at least 10 minutes before eating.