A few years ago, I was having lunch at a trendy restaurant in Miami. I ordered my salad expecting something not out of the ordinary. When it arrived, these beautiful crunchy strips adorned the top of the salad. One bite is all it took. I was hooked. I asked the waiter what these skinny strips were and was surprised to learn they were sweet potatoes. Once back home, I recreated these yummy crunchies.
Yields: 2 servings | Calories: 117 | Total Fat: 7 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Carbohydrates: 13 g | Sodium: 21cmg | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 1 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4|
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for a sweeter taste use unrefined (non-hydrogented) coconut oil
- Peel sweet potato and cut into julienne strips (the easiest way is to use a julienne peeler)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add strings to a large mixing bowl, drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Spread strings evenly over a large cookie sheet. Stir every 10 minutes and continue to bake until crispy, approximately 30 minutes. Strings will continue to get crispy after coming out of the oven. Discard any potato strings that are overly brown. Allow to cool at room temperature. Store in an airtight container or ziplock bag.
- Eat as a snack, salad topper, or atop soup and many other side dishes.